Job: Senior Project Manager/Editor
Join our kisckass reporting team as project manager.
Climate Desk is an innovative journalistic partnership between eight news organizations—The Atlantic, Center for Investigative Reporting, The Guardian, Grist, Mother Jones, Slate, Wired, and PBS’s public-affairs show Need To Know—dedicated to exploring the impact of a changing climate. With the partnership expanding in scope and reach, we seek a compulsive networker to coordinate and guide new approaches to climate journalism.
The project manager must be a senior journalist and project leader with serious digital chops who is excited about learning from and contributing to all the partner organizations. We’re looking for a dynamic innovator and skilled cat-herder who can spearhead a big reporting project (or two or five), provide support and guidance for a far-flung stable of producers and writers, and maintain close rapport with partner editors.
The project manager will be the key liaison with partner organizations, each with varying and changing editorial needs, seeking to determine stories and strategies that complement their mission. She or he will work with CD’s producers and writers to create coverage that informs, reveals, and surprises, and will obsessively pursue ways to amplify that coverage far beyond the green choir.
To succeed in this position, you’ll need:
- Seven to ten years of journalistic experience in a news environment.
- A nose for news and opportunity—a.k.a. creating and distributing content pegged to what people care about now
- A keen competitive instinct and sharp eye for stories and memes that will go viral.
- A passion for new forms of storytelling—multimedia, interactive, social, and yet-to-be-discovered
- A strong affinity for and high comfort level in social media; proven track record engaging communities that care about content
- Networking savvy: You’ll need to schmooze and charm and coax both within the partnership and identify new partners and ever-changing distribution channels.
- Team-building smarts: Even more so than in most leadership jobs, relationships are key here
- Nimbleness and comfort with multitasking: If you require a measured pace and highly structured environment, this may not be for you. If you’re ready for an entrepreneurial challenge, it is.
- Sense of humor and grace under pressure: You can see why.
This full-time staff position may be based in one of Mother Jones’ three offices—San Francisco, Washington, DC, or New York City. Remote not an option.
Mother Jones‘ parent foundation, the Foundation for National Progress, manages the Climate Desk and we are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming work place. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Absolutely no calls. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to jobs (at) motherjones (dot) com.